How we work
Long-term relationships tailored to how you work
Siemens Process Systems Engineering works in many different ways with many different customers in many different process industries.
As an organisation we choose to work flexibly and collaboratively in long-term relationships wherever possible, to maximize the mutual benefit from the application of Advanced Process Modelling.
Indeed, many of our products have been developed working in close collaboration with leading customers in the field.
Products or services?
Many of the existing companies in the process simulation and modelling space offer products OR services. Siemens PSE offers both. Why?
Our experience shows that to maximize the considerable long-term sustainable value that can be created by model-based engineering, the following are necessary:
- fit-for-purpose products, with well-trained and well-supported personnel to use them
- a well-developed modelling infrastructure of skilled, experienced personnel with strong understanding of business and technology drivers
- best-practice workflows and methodologies.
These are essential in order to be able to deliver fit-for-purpose projects rapidly and to the highest quality, thus truly creating value for the organisation.
Siemens PSE can play an important part in creating this infrastructure by adding the required skills and experience that are not always readily available in the modern organisation. We can:
- tailor the mix of products to suit your current and future mix of skills and requirements
- provide education and training, including workshops to address specific requirements
- provide project support, for rapid and assured project delivery coupled with on-the-job training for your personnel
- introduce best-practice workflows into the organisation
- integrate existing software components and workflows
- provide team members on a longer-term basis, until your team is up to full complement.
Degrees of collaboration
At one end of the scale, we provide purely software, in the form of gPROMS platform products. At the other end of the scale, we may provide a purely consulting service that results in a report deliverable.
However the vast majority of our customer relationships involve a combination of software and services.
Typical modes of operation are:
- At the lower level of involvement, we provide Modelcare assistance. Our innovative ModelCare service lets you call off any level of assistance as and when you require it to ensure rapid and smooth project progress.
- At the higher level of Siemens PSE involvement, we might lead a project, while still working closely with your technical and business personnel, to ensure rapid and assured delivery. Often the first project in a sequence is performed this way, with subsequent projects led by the customer team with Siemens PSE assistance where required.
- There are many ways of working in between these two. For example, we might work closely with you to create a fit-for-purpose model that is then used by your modelling team to perform the necessary case studies.
Please note that these are loose, not fixed, categorisations. Customers typically move freely between the different modes of operation, as each project has its own requirements.
A key objective of all of our collaborative work with customers is the transfer of modelling know-how to customers, to enable you to build a modelling infrastructure around advanced process modelling best practice.
We are happy to recommend the appropriate way of working on any project, based on project technical or business requirements, the availability of modelling personnel with the required skills within your organisation, the complexity of models required, the experience that Siemens PSE can bring to bear in the application area, and so on.
Why do we prefer to work collaboratively?
We see many advantages to working collaboratively on both sides:
- establish a good understanding of requirements and possibilities, and how these can be addressed by the available technology
- understand where development is necessary in order to meet project requirements, and propose how this can be addressed most effectively
- understand customer priorities and workflows
- transfer know-how to personnel via ‘on-the-job’ training – in our experience, always the most effective approach
- build good working relationships
- ensure the adoption and transfer of modelling best practice, based on Siemens PSE’s extensive experience in the field.
For us, there is a further advantage: we get to understand the challenges being faced by industry, and how we need to develop our tools and services to help our customers meet these challenges, based on immediate feedback.
Advanced Process Modelling. The power to be certain.
More about Siemens PSEHow we work Innovation & thought leadership Sustainability Our values IChemE Gold Corporate Partnership
The 4 pillars of a model-based engineering infrastructure: Software, models, people and workflows
PSE is certified to the Quality Management Standard, ISO 9001